[Solved] Couldn’t verify Office 365 Subscription.

I have faced a quite weird issue where Office package (O365) gives an error as “Couldn’t verify subscription Excel/Word couldn’t verify your Office 365 subscription. Please make sure that you’re connected to the Internet.”, even though I have an appropriate license for Office 365.


I got some solution on it and fixed my issue. So I thought to share this info in my blog.


  1. Open a command prompt in admin mode and then take one of the following actions.
    • If you have installed the 64-bit version of Office 2013 / 2016 (O365), move to the following folder:
      • C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15  or Office 16
    • If you have installed the 32-bit version of Office 2013/ 2016 (O365), move to the following folder:
      •  C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15 or Office 16
  2. Type the following command to display the license status. Note the last five characters of any and all license keys that display in the output
cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus 

Command for Office16

3. Now run the following command as many times as needed to remove all of the license keys you noted from the previous step (without the “<>”)

cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:<last five characters of product key> 

4. Once you successfully remove the key from command, close command prompt and restart your machine.

5. Launch one of the MS office 2013 and 2016 applications. The application should prompt you to reactive by providing your sign-on IT. Enter your credentials and the software will be now licensed under that ID. It might take some time for the license to update.

This is quite easy and quick to execute.




34 thoughts on “[Solved] Couldn’t verify Office 365 Subscription.

  1. Very Helpful, thank you.
    In my case, I’d switched subscriptions but the previous subscriptions were expired but still present.
    I removed the two old expired subscriptions and my verification issues ended, no reboot required.

  2. Thank you sir! – I have spend hours trying to get to the bottom of this problem and, much to my relief, you have provided the solution – you have my utmost appreciation.

  3. I very rarely leave forum post comments, but I needed to tell you how much I appreciate your post! I had done a “reset” on a Windows 10 machine, and when I installed Office 2016 (C2R) I encountered this issue. After spending hours trying to fix it via Microsoft troubleshooting garbage, and having Office remove itself twice due to running the Online Repair Install, I found this fantastic post which resolved the issue in under 5 minutes. Bravo and Thank you very much!

  4. As an IT administrator, I really, really appreciate this post. I too, spent hours looking for a solution to Office365 ProPlus activation issues in an RDS environment to no avail. Concise, precise and to the point. Bravo!

  5. Office 2016 multiple Server RDS farm, when user logs in they get No Installed product keys was detected, all credentials already removed. When logging in, prompts to authenticate. Connects brings up Outlook, and shows logged in, but unable to verify persists. Any other ideas??

    1. Sorry when I run this they get No installed product keys was detected, all users can login and multiple other users on the same RDS server do not have this issue. Its isolated to this one user.

  6. Much appreciated for the solution, helped me fix my Finance Directors machine in under 5 mins. I did however, find that a restart would then show more keys – I had to restart 4 times to get through all of the keys.
    I made a quick script for those on 64bit:

    CD “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office16”
    cscript ospp.vbs /dstatus
    SET /P KEY=Please enter the key you wish to remove:
    cscript ospp.vbs /unpkey:%KEY%

    Save as a .bat and run as admin. It’ll prompt you for the key you want to remove, then remove it.
    Ypu can always change the location depending on your needs. Just my way of giving back 🙂

  7. Thank you very much for spending the time to share this. You have made a very late night even shorter. By the way, this works for a shared instance on a Remote Desktop Server. That was my scenario.

  8. Fucking retard this just removed my license at all, so It do not ask me again about licenses but my products still unlicensed. Do not share this kind of things that only work for certain cases

  9. Was beating my head against the wall on this. Solution is AWESOME. Ran Command prompt as Admin – all is good now.

  10. Greate post. Keep posting such kind of information on your
    site. Im really impressed by your site.
    Hello there, You’ve performed a great job. I will certainly digg it and in my
    view recommend to my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this web site.

  11. Hi there it’s me, I am also visiting this web page regularly, this site
    is actually good and the viewers are truly sharing good thoughts.

  12. For me, it was a single PC that had the Network List Service stopped in services.msc. Starting that resolved the issue.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s